Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Now What?

Resting, that's what.  It's been almost a week since we found out the good news and I'm happy to report not much has happened since then.  We initially had one blood test to check my HCG levels and were thrilled to hear we were in fact pregnant, our second blood test two days later confirmed this and the news has settled in a little.  Our levels rose at good rates in the two days between blood tests and I inquired about the indication of twins, our RN said that while we won't know for certain until our ultrasound on the 30th, with the numbers she was seeing she wouldn't be surprised.  Twins is something that both Brady and I would love to have, we've always said we were meant for twins and while I know we are completely naive in regards to what it is like to have children, we know that we are capable and after this journey we will be grateful for additional blessings.  I should mention here that we have two sets of twins already in the family, my little brother and sister (age 30) and twin little brothers (age 7) so I have witnessed firsthand the insanity of two for one, but being a little left of sane myself I think maybe it's meant to be.  We will be grateful and thrilled regardless of the number however and know that what is meant to happen will. 

So the next big event will be our ultrasound on August 30th.  Normally the first ultrasound is done by an OBGYN at around 8-10 weeks, however with IVF things are a little different.  I am not sure if it's due to the high rate of multiples or just ongoing diligence but my first ultrasound will take place exactly four weeks after the day they harvested my eggs.  This means we won't see a heartbeat or anything but we should see if things are progressing as they should and we will learn of course whether we will have one bundle of joy or we should start buying stock in xanax. Until then I am kind of laying low and trying to play it safe.  This is hard for me, I don't like laying around and feel increasingly guilty about my inability to perform some of the much needed manual labor around the house and new yard.  Occasionally I have to stop and remind myself of what we have gone through to get here and I realize that it isn't about what I can or cannot do, what is done or undone, it is about doing everything in my power to not take for granted what we have been given.  I am learning more and more every day that it's no longer just about me and my desire to do it all.  Right now I have to chill, I have to read and write and garden and bake and RELAX and surrender to the process and if that means resting on the couch watching movies and noshing on fresh fruit, then so be it :)

2 comments:

  1. CONGRATULATIONS!!!! I'll keep praying that this is God's will.....and as far as relaxing..... take advantage of it....you may not ever see it again till retirement, and then that isn't a given. So happy for you both!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're doing exactly what you are supposed to be doing so don't ever feel guilty. Instead of external manual labor, you are now doing internal manual labor so to speak feeding, nurturing, talking to, and loving what's growing inside you. Just keep eating those fruits, veggies, protein and keep the happy/relaxed vibes a rolling. :)

    ReplyDelete