Tuesday, August 3, 2010

The Big Day

I can't believe we are here!  It feels a little crazy to know that we finally made it to this point.  It has been a crazy road and we are very grateful to have made it this far.  Today is the day we go in and have the blastocysts transferred into my uterus where they hopefully get comfortable and stay a while.  This morning we got the call from our Embryologist letting us know that of the 8 eggs that fertilized 6 have continued to grow.  This is the good news.  She proceeds to let me know that they are growing a little slow however, and this is the not so good news.  We are told that the embryos are looking more like they should on the day before transfer rather than the day of.  She assures me that this doesn't mean they won't make babies and thinks that there is still enough grow time before the transfer for them to catch up and make clear which two we should implant.  I don't know what this means for the others though and I hope we can still freeze the remaining 4.  I have to admit a slight dip in my positivity due to this news but I'm going to blame the hormones and try to not let it get me down. 

We are due to report to the clinic at 2:15 this afternoon for the transfer.  We have done a mock transfer already so I know what to expect.  The procedure requires me to have a full bladder, this means that an already uncomfortable procedure is now stressful as well.  The doc tells me to relax so he can guide the catheter in, perhaps he doesn't realize how difficult that is when I'm doing my best to not release my full bladder all over him.  I am told that for the real deal this afternoon they will give me Valium to aid in my relaxation and I am wondering how many times this has led to the Magic Man getting urinated on.  Once we are done with the transfer I get to chill in the office on my back for an hour, I am told a bed pan will be available to help make this more comfortable, again with the bedpans, yay.  After that we head home for two days of bed rest.  I have to be laying down, I can have my head elevated with pillows but at no more than a 45 degree angle.  I am only allowed up to use the restroom and once again, it was suggested that I use a bedpan most of the time.  I think it's obvious at this point the clinic is clearly trying to bring bedpans back. I will admit to a certain purchase at REI to aid in bathroom breaks on bed rest and tell myself that it will be worth the indignity in the long run.  After the two days I am free to get up and shower but no baths, in fact no to a lot of things.  No exercise at a level that makes me sweat, no elevating my heart rate over a certain level and no sex.  In fact we haven't been allowed to have sex since the week before the egg retrieval and won't be able to until our BHCG pregnancy test 12 days from now.  I find it amusing we are making a baby with absolutely no sex, Brady thinks this is slightly less than amusing. 

I am not looking forward to bed rest.  Those that know me know that me sitting still for anything more than an hour or so (who are we kidding 10 minutes) is difficult and therefore this will be the challenge of my life.  I am hoping I am able to find my zen, I am hoping I don't drive Brady crazy and I am hoping that I can manage to stay calm and remember to be grateful.  That might be a big order considering I'm going to be peeing into a water bottle and relying on my darling husband to cook and give me sponge baths, but I think I can do it.  In fact, I think it might even be good for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment